Re: Inspiration over beer

From: John Patrick Hughes <john.hughes_at_...>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 09:30:08 +1100 (EST)

Nice. The trope of a 'free people escaping from slavery under Pharaoh to enter the Promised Land' had never hit me so directly before.

Three additional thoughts that I've been mulling over, in descending order of relevance to Whitewall..

  1. I've always thought the proliferation of wandering hero bands united by a wyter is very much a recent (or at least cyclical) historical development within Dragon Pass, not just a change in game focus. Circa 1625, they're starting to become much more common, for all sorts of reasons. I've covered this in my Tentacles 'Heroes In Hall' presentation. Whitewall is one obvious seed.
  2. Argrath is much less of an Orlanthi than we've been supposing. Start with the wyrm-spangled banner and work forward, with Nick and Janes' comments in mind.
  3. In 1980 Earth Time we were c.1610 ST in Glorantha, inrecently Lunar-ocupied Pavis. In 2008 we are still hanging on the edge of 1625 ST, with the Sartar Rising cycle seeming abandoned or curtailed with no immediate resolution in sight.

Lets be optimistic and assume we see a Dragonrise scenario "next year", in 2009. So in 2009 we are at 1625 ST. In 29 years we will have advanced 15 Gloranthan years in the campaign: lets say one Gloranthan year for two earth years.The Red Moon will fall or transform again in 1725 - this is a convenient marker for the end of the Hero Wars. Applying the present rate of official progression (and as we've all noticed, its slowed, not speeded up) we can expect to see the final Hero wars module in about 2109 AD.

In two hundred years. Which is making me think an overtly unnofficial, creative, fan-based, alternative 'G2' Hero Wars arc to sketch out a story in exactly the same way we've done for Whitewall. Make our own Argrath and other heroes. Sketch out a campaign arc, the more fantastic the better. Utilise maximum creativity: exactly the thing the Gloranthan community is so good at. Surprise and entertain each other.

Any thoughts? Any takers?

Cheers

John