Re: Re: Dragonrise arc

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 14:39:36 +0000 (GMT)

>>>You know more about them than I do, but I Nick reckoned it was a
> >>mess, and I'll believe him.

> >Quite possibly, but we were talking about the re-write being a mess
> >in terms of compatibility, not whether or not the thing it was about
> >was a mess.

> Compatibility with what?

(shrugs) Ask Nick. That's what I said: he reckons it was incompatible, he'd studied it, I hadn't, I believe him.

> The social structure of communism is a post industrial revolution
> concept. Just as capitalism is. In both cases the amount of central
> control requires modern tech communications.

And half the point of the analogue is that it requires it, doesn't have it, and doesn't work. In fact, that's a pretty major flaw in Soviet Communism: it doesn't work!

> >> The whole point is that no empire has ever existed with a single
> >>set of cultural values.

> >Who said anything about a single set of cultural values?

> Culture determines what type of troops are available.

well, if you're using "culture" that broadly.... so the lack of a single set of cultural values in the Roman Empire stopped them having a standard recognisable troop type, did it?

>One standard military unit, with standard uniforms and names.
>"You turn the corner and see some Lunar soldiers". How do you know
>that's what they are? They're wearing standard Lunar uniforms, and
>doing standard Lunar things. You're never going to find out what
>their cultural values are, you're just going to loose a volley of
>javelins and then go in with swords.

> The Lunar army has never had a standard military unit. That's a
> variation in your Glorantha.

No, it's what's found in every scenario that's ever said "you come round the corner and see some Lunar soldiers". Or "a group of Lunar soldiers come and demand taxes." There's never any need to specify what type of Lunar soldiers, they're a generic foe. Scimitars, red cloaks. Sure, there's some special units, and "special" is the word. They're different from the normal ones. Look at "The Widow's Tale" - massive detail on the Lunars, they're even being used as viewpoint for half the book, but no-one worries about what *sort* of Lunar unit they are, because they're the standard sort.

>> It may also be worth considering the other
>> conflict the Empire is involved in - against the Pentan nomads. They
>> are probably the bigger threat to the Heartlands. When the Emperor
>> withdraws support from Tarsh's war against Sartar it is probably
>> because the resources are needed in Oraya.
>
>Did that last funny name mean "Pent"?

> No. It's the name of the Lunar province between First Blessed and
> Pent. A buffer between the nomads and the important imperial cities.
> No more a funny name than Tarsh.

Ah, never heard of that one. Tarsh I know about, Pent I know about.

>There's something odd going on with Pent anyway. What's all this
>about 13 year olds with red hair? Why is anyone interested in
>their hair colour?

> I can't recall where that reference comes from.

The main Pent write-up, Genertela book, Glorantha boxed set. Also one of the Coders - Eslas? is one such red-haired Pentan.

> My immediate thought is that the red hair is a sign of the Goddess
> so perhaps it's a sign that a leader will bring the Pentans in to
> civilisation. :)

If so, Vingans should be getting the same treatment? Which would make for interesting story, but AFAIK isn't happening.