Re: Re: Tunnels

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 04:42:23 GMT

In message <gpef3n+jgqm_at_...> "Stuart Cogger" writes:

>> > I've written a story involving a more general purpose ability to
>> > move underground. It starts from an Ernaldan temple and involves
>> > Ernalda asking Ty Kora Tek permission to use her secret routes
>> > through the earth. Significant sacrifices required and not
>> > particularly safe.
>
>Absolutely - anyone enjoying such time saving travel should come out
>of it knowing how much it cost...For the sake of drama I'd make the
>cost almost preclusive and inconceivable.

The myth isn't really about travelling but getting people out of serious trouble.

First off you have to get someone to take the part of Ernalda on the heroplane. And she has to start in the Ernaldan temple which is taboo to men. Not that men will know the myth anyway.

Then she has to convince her aunt, Ty Kora Tek, to grant her the personal favour. So it needs to be something she personally wants a lot. The sacrifices are bribes because TKT is greedy even when her niece is involved.

Then there are the conditions - follow the path, don't touch anything and don't let anyone in your party stray. Breaking them means something nasty happens. Probably death unless the GM feels kind when they are just lost in TKT's caverns on the heroplane. Then they are reliant on Asrelia finding something useful for them to do, which might take a few centuries.

>> Sounds good. Nice one-off use, its existence doesn't impact
>>other bits of plot or strategy.
>>
>> > Exit points in various places, some safe and
>> > others not so safe - the one in Boldhome is probably in the
>> > basement of the Imperial Governor's palace.
>>
>> Unless we can come up with anywhere even more "interesting" :)

Mythically it should be somewhere which can be identified with Yelm's palace. Most of the exits are hidden in caves and such like.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/