Re: Re: Dragonrise arc

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 19:53:12 +0100 (CET)

Chris Lemens
> Well, to be fair, if they use spears and scimitars, then they are not like
> classic legionaries. The classic late republican / early imperial
> legionaries threw the pila, which was a heavy javelin, not a spear. They
> then closed to melee distance.

The scimitar is not a weapon for phalanx warfare, but going on a patrol isn't phalanx warfare, either.

I seem to recall that there are peltasts and a Heortling mercenary company stationed at Pavis, too.

> One of the big reasons that they totally
> pwned their enemies is that they had better close-distance
> sword-and-shield combat.

According to Delbr�ck, they remained effectively hoplites, but due to breakdown into separate entities they received increased maneuverability.

> I like it. Underground guerilla wars in the dark. Heortlings look for Uz
> allies. Lunars call for blue moon trolls. Secret stuff down underneath and
> hidden agendas among supposed allies.

Krarsht in all her glory...