Re: Re: Tunnels

From: donald_at_...
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 03:40:07 GMT

In message <696921.36563.qm_at_...> Jane Williams writes:

>> Years ago, Stephen Martin and I thought up the Whitewall thief gang
>>patron as the Safecracker - a hero with special magics to overcome
>>Argan Argari anti-thief magics. When we got the list of Lanbril cults
>>published (I think in Tradetalk), we stated that the Safecrackers had
>>been subverted by Krarshti.
>
>That sounds like a lot of fun. I'm a little surprised that Whitewall
>has a high enough population to support a thief gang, but if Pavis
>does, why not?
>
>> Now Jeff Richard says that Whitewall won't have a Lanbrili gang.
>
>Is there any logic or suggested better story behind that idea?
>Stated as baldly as that, it's just "so? And we say there is."

IIRC it was on the basis that Lanbril is not a part of the Heortling pantheon. Which makes sense, you don't get criminal gangs in a rural tribal culture.

I would agree in normal times WW doesn't have enough people to support a gang but once the clans gather to defend it in 1620 there will be a horde of support people - merchants, servants and so on. Along with them will come thieves and other dubious characters. With the leadership concentrating on defending the city they won't have much time for dealing with a crimewave and sometimes they will want someone to do dubious jobs for them.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/