Re: Re: Dragonrise arc

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 07:52:35 +0000 (GMT)

> I see peltasts as the most truely Lunar of all units in the army.
> Being both effective skirmishers and capable close order spears
> is unique to the Lunar way.

This does make sense. Adaptability. But we still have this Lunar saying the hoplite is the true soldier. Still, he's a hoplite himself...

> I don't see there being thousands of veterans disappearing from
> the ranks in 1619/20. Some desertion and a fair bit of not
> re-enlisting at the end of their seven year term between 1620-1625.
Maybe, but...

> The idea that Lunar units being more loyal to their leader than the
> Empire seems askew with the Imperial structure.

It is, but these are Fazzur's troops. They *would* be more loyal to him than to the Empire, and that's one very good reason why Fazzur tends not to be trusted by the Empire!  B***y provincials....

> Well the Provincial Militia are armed similarly to Hoplites (spear
> and large shield) and could be mistaken for them by the ignorant
> which will include most Sartarites. Makes the shock of meeting a
> phalanx all the greater when it charges without losing formation.

OK, that helps with our "generic Lunar soldier" problem, if both those can be counted as "standard Lunar". If you see peltasts even in regular formation, though, they're obviously not the same thing to eyes used to an Orlanthi warband, are they?