Re: Re: Dragonrise arc

From: donald_at_...
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 20:41:31 GMT

In message <583002.51594.qm_at_...> Jane Williams writes:

>> When teaching history in Boston, do your history books take the
>>side of the English or the Irish?
>
>Surely a decent history book doesn't take sides at all?

That's the ideal, rarely if ever achieved. KoS is written as a history book and we know how accurate and unbiased that is. Far too often a good history book is one which reinforces the prejudicies of the academic and political establishment.

The only way I've found to get a reasonably unbiased view of a historical event is to read all the sides and then use my judgement to reconcile them. They are usually all wrong in significant ways.

I'm reminded of the tale I heard about the professor who placed a copy of KoS in the history section of the university library. It remained there for some time until a graduate student proposed doing his thesis on the Kingdom of Sartar.

>> Since they are the heaviest infantry available, you would put them
>>in places where they need to out-muscle the opponent head to head.
>
>I'm a little surprised that that's what you want for street fighting,
>but that's not something I know much about. Definitely sword rather
>than spear, there, though.

Or more likely a cudgel. The big shield is useful though.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/