Re: Re: Dragonrise arc

From: donald_at_...
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 21:09:36 GMT

In message <838748.66425.qm_at_...> Chris Lemens writes:

>>In any case those with a British ancestry aren't anywhere near
>>the majority.
>
>That's one of the political reasons why our textbooks start where
>they do. Historically, it was because of a desire for assimilation.
>When teaching history in Boston, do your history books take the side
>of the English or the Irish? Best ignore all that stuff and teach
>the immigrants about George Washington. Now, there are different
>politically driving factors, plus tradition.

I can see the political benefits of the policy. However it does make Americans appear particularly ignorant of their origins and the world outside their borders. As an example I remember someone asking "Do the Brits have Habeus Corpus?" I was tempted to reply "Yes, for longer than the US has existed".

>Donald:
>> I see peltasts as the most truly Lunar of all units in the army.
>> Being both effective skirmishers and capable close order spears
>> is unique to the Lunar way. One big problem - there aren't anything
>> like enough of them so other less suitable units have to substitute.
>
>I concur with this, except that I think the spears are javelins for
>a substantial number, probably depending on local tradition.

Most troops described as peltasts in the RW carried both. A javlin isn't really long enough to make an effective barrier, particularly against cavalry. Equally to skirmish you need something to throw.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/