Re: Re: Dragonrise arc

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 21:02:23 +0000 (GMT)

>> Sent: Monday, 16 March, 2009 14:10:39

> >But didn't arrive till Tuesday morning: I wonder why? I might go
> >header-chasing, if Donald doesnt' know either.

> The "Sent" is a bit misleading. It's when I finished writing it
> rather than when it got dispatched.

These differ by more than a few seconds?? OK, no mystery to solve at this end, then.

> >a) He isn't - it's a "Lunar" army that ended up more loyal to Fazzur
> >than to the Empire.

> Then something has gone badly wrong. That's the sort of thing the
> Seven Mothers cult in the provinces is supposed to prevent.
Looks like they failed.

> He could have marched on Glamour!

Indeed. Across the Rubicon, rolling dice as he went: oh, sorry, wrong ancient warlord....

> >b) How do you plan on stopping him?

> Assassination, arrest for treason.....

The first sounds good: hire the PCs!

> >> where's Tatius's personal army?

> >The ones loyal to him personally because he inspires that sort of loyalty?

> That would be the Colleges of Magic then.

You reckon? Maybe...

> >Have you met Tatius?

> You've read pretty much all Charmanda has told me about him.

I have indeed, and  while he inspires respect and fear, I don't see much loyalty there.

> You need some Lunars who can be beaten by the PCs. I just don't
> want it to be the elite units. Which is what happens when you
> define them as the default.

Very good point. Elite =|= default.

>> I'm sure a typical Orlanthi will regard cataphracts as creatures
>> of Mostal or sorcerous inventions until they realise there's
>> a man and horse under all that armour.

> >I doubt it. Orlanthi aren't pure Dark Age tech, they have full plate
> >until it's banned by the Lunars. They might want to get their hands
> >on a horse capable of carrying the weight, though.

> I know some did in RQII but I don't see plate armour as all that
> common among the Orlanthi.

Not common, no, but not unknown either.

> Certainly horse armour is unknown
> because as you say they haven't horses capable of carrying it.

True. Unless the use Strength spells on their horses?