Re: Re: Dragonrise arc

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 00:37:05 +0100 (CET)

donald_at_...

>>I'd like to address the objection that their loyalty to Fazzur could
>>have been greater than that to the Tarshite kings or the Lunar Empire.
>>
>>First off, as far as I am concerned these are units created by Fazzur
>>for the Tarshite conquest of Dragon Pass. Fazzur trains them, equips
>>them, and leads them (when not falling into disgrace). In 1605 these
>>units gain rich loot, experience, and pride in their Volsaxi campaign.
>>After Fazzur's removal from command, they remain the Tarshite
>>contribution to the Provincial Army. I suppose that they are part of
>>the 1610 Praxian campaign, too, again serving under Fazzur. They are
>>the core of the reaction force that trapped Kallyr's rebel army on
>>Larnste's Table, again under Fazzur's command. They are the spearhead
>>in the Volsaxi conquest of 1619, and Heortland 1620. All the time
>>receiving loot, honors, etc. under Fazzur's command.
>>
>>Let's assume a 7 year term of service, and we get another nice
>> coincidence.
>>
>>If they fought in 1605 in Volsaxar, they will have been called to arms
>>maybe already for 1602, or in 1604 in preparation for the Holy Country
>>campaign. This means they leave the service between 1608 and 1612. In
>>1613, Fazzur raises their standards again, calling them in for another
>>7 year term - which ends in 1620. While on campaign, they won't be
>>sent home, but as soon as Tatius removes Fazzur, the active campaign
>>effectively ends, and many of the veterans may be sent home.
>>
>>Next call to arms will be in 1625, after the Dragonrise.

>>So, we get a body of veterans with only good experiences serving under
>>Fazzur, recalled for Kallyr's rebellion. Yes, I do think that they
>>will retire to Fazzur's lands after 1621...

> The dates do fit in rather nicely.

They do. Thanks for making me find this fact.

> However the difficulty I have is that Tarsh provides a high proportion
> of the basic infantry for the invasions and occupation. That's usually
> the arm that suffers the worst casualties. So either the units will
> be continually be being reinforced. Or, more likely, units will be
> sent home to rebuild and be replaced in the interim. Whichever, there
> are going to be a significant proportion who weren't recruited at
> those times.

I'm not talking about those foot troops, but I'm talking about Fazzur's family retainers joining up his elite cavalry force. Fazzur's family has holdings in Sylila as well, and I guess he will be quite well connected. Take a look at Champions of the Red Moon to see how "regular" military units are firmly joined to household interests.

> I would also have expected Heartland units to be given priority
> for return home when the active campaign ends because of their
> higher status. Also if troops are wanted on the Pentan frontier
> it makes more sense to use Heartland troops.

I think that Tatius is only too happy to let those untrustworthy provincials leave his command.

> Another angle is that if Fazzur has achieved this level of loyalty
> he has done so in opposition to the Seven Mothers cult in Tarsh
> who should be making sure that the army is loyal to the Emperor
> and the Goddess. So they've failed, but that failure is part of
> the story and we need to write it.

The problem here is that Fazzur ranks high in the Seven Mothers cult of Tarsh, and so do many of his closest followers. And in Tarsh, loyalty is to Goddess, Emperor, and King - Moirades is something like a living saint of the Lunars. Fazzur has achieved this loyalty with the sanction of Moirades. Moirades has been the head of the magical forces of Tarsh for years, and Fazzur had become his best military leader. His Sylilan family ties make him less of a provincial by provincial standards, and apart from his undiplomatic, very Orlanthi pride he has been the model Lunar commander.

>>Naughty, yes... Guard the tax farmer against angry Heortlings,
>>warband's honor...

> Well they aren't our clan, if they don't pay their taxes we'll > probably have to pay more.

That's thinking like a (Heortling) woman.

>>Yes. But my point is that they are unlikely to be sent on patrol into
>>the roadless outbacks where your average Sartarite clan lives.

> From the map in Dragon Pass there seem to be few clans that far > away from a road

There are roads, and then there are royal highways, and there is a great difference between these.

> and I'm sure there are decent paths, if not proper
> roads, from the clan centres to the main roads. Sure many steads
> will be pretty remote and may even be cut off in winter but even
> there the clan warband will need to be able to get there in a
> reasonable time.

Using hill paths that may be sort of secret to the clan occupying the tula. There is a reason why Issaries traders use mule caravans rather than wagons.

> I expect Lunar patrols often visit clan centres
> just to keep an eye on the chief and make sure he knows they are
> watching.

I expect this level of surveillance for the tribal level, but not for just about any clan chief's hall. Troublesome clans may call this on themselves, though.