Re: Re: Maps - Wiki trouble!

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2009 14:57:42 +0000 (GMT)

> Then I'm going to suggest switching to Google Groups,

er.. what? As a replacement Wiki? As a place to discuss 3D graphics? I know nuffin about Google Groups, as yet.

> which at least can be accessible to search engines

this isn't? It used to be.... yes, public access to archive, it *should* be searchable...

and on checking, a Google for "whitewall broyan" finds me messages from this group, and pages on the Wiki. What did you mean by "accessible to search engines"?

> and it's files are accessible from the link without logging in (just tested this feature). That'll help.

> Among other things, I hate having to log in to Yahoo and deal with its slow,
> ad-infested interface to get to a file.

I must admit, I rarely look at files on groups, but I'm permanently logged into Yahoo anyway.

> The invisibility to search is another annoyance - how else is anyone who
> doesn't already know about the group going to find it?

er... I dunno. I think we used to mention it on the other lists when WW came up, but since I don't follow them any more... It's in the Ygroups directory, most other Gloranthan lists use Yahoo Groups... but I still don't know what you mean about being invisible to search.

> I've taken the liberty of creating a Whitewall Google group.

OK. Where is it, and what does it do?

> Right now, this is just a test - if this group of people doesn't want to
> move, I'll delete the group - no problem there.

(shrugs) Let's give it a go, find out what it does.

> I'm the owner, but I will gladly add managers, delete it to let someone else
> create one, or whatever TPTB want.

If "TPTB" means "the powers that be", that is now, and in this area, you.

> I don't know how long it will take for it to be

> indexed, but in the meantime, you can see a publicly accessible list
> by searching for "R'lyeh-Report".

Googling that does not find me anything that looks like a "group". Could you provide a link, please?