RL language n' stuff...

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 08:37:07 +0000 (GMT)

sorry, RL is hectic, I've been skipping things I meant to answer ages ago.

> > I am definitely assuming that we're writing (in English) primarily
> > for people for whom English is their first language, yes.

> From my point of view, that is about 50% true. I come from a place where people buy and use
> English language gaming material while gaming in another language, and that is true for much of the EU. ....
> That's quite a population base of non-native speakers.

It sounds like it yes - I hadn't realised there were so many of them. Understandably silent, I suppose: reading in another language is much easier than writing in it.

> People whose writing can compare to that of native speaker authors are
> rare (not sure I fall into that category, since I am quite painfully aware of the limited
> active vocabulary I am using when writing in English). Good enough for discussion
>purposes, and even gaming, but severly challenged when writing prose.

I don't remember seeing any fiction you've written. FWIW, your writing of factual prose comes across to me as that of a native English speaker, and an unusually well-educated one at that. I'd rate it as better than mine. The only problem I ever have with your vocabulary is when you use technical words I don't recognise and I have to go and look them up.

> > Who had red hair, and led a rebellion that did well initially, then
> > failed.

> Failed heroically - something Kallyr avoided at Larnste's Table.

I really must work out how she avoided the "heroically" trap. That isn't like her.

> > Manching looks interesting.

> Very interesting - if you are at Tentacles, I can show you some video
> material I bought at the museum there.

Sorry, I won't be at Tentacles.

>  I have a French comic series "Vae Victis" which has a red-haired British slave girl
> becoming an adversary of Caesar. Her name is Bodicea...
> About as historical as "300", but using De Bello Gallico imaginatively.

Yes, I remember you recommending I read that a while back. I even found a copy on Ebay, and it's on a shelf somewhere: still in the wrapper :(

> > The Fishbourne palace is famous because it's so well-preserved,
> > and because as a result, we all go on school trips
> > there, but again, I wouldn't bother using that as a public analogue.

> Sounds like a place to visit when I next tour to the island...

Better check first, I was 12 when I saw it, it may have changed. For all I know, it's under a motorway :(

>  I think the Heortlings would be very disappointed when an invader fails to produce strange new ideas in their invasions.

That disappointment could be the basis of an amusing short story...

> Sure. Let's take Caesar.

> French version: Caesar and his legions conquered France and undertook
> pacifying expeditions across the borders.

> UK version: After conquering France, Caesar campaigned in Britain, and
> fought the druids.

Surely in both cases we'd say "Gaul"?

> German version: Having subdued the Helvetii, Caesar fought against the
> Suebes led by Ariovist, and pushed them back across the Rhine.

> Italian version: Having assured the loyalty of his legions in 10 years of campaigning in the north, Caesar returned to Italy.

Rubicon, etc?

> US version: Founder of the Roman Empire.

> Maybe a bit exaggerated, but that's how school history relates to those events.

From what Chris was saying, would the Americans know that much??

http://www.webscription.net/p-300-an-oblique-approach.aspx

> A Baen Free Library book. Just download for free, and have a look.

Have downloaded (along with a few other things) - thanks!