Re: RL language n' stuff...

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 21:18:46 +0000 (GMT)

> > I don't remember seeing any fiction you've written.

> Here's something loosely appropriate for this list (at least
> geographically) I posted on World of Glorantha, which you will have missed.

Yep. Why didn't you put it on your website?

> Most of my fiction (either in English or German) is fragmentary or unfinished...

Me too :(

But snipping the lot - that was good! Yes, there are places where the phrasing is a little odd, but it's well-written and enjoyable. If you ever want a hand polishing something to make it more like native English, just ask - it won't take much doing.

> >> Failed heroically - something Kallyr avoided at Larnste's Table.

> > I really must work out how she avoided the "heroically" trap. That isn't
> > like her.

> Blame it on her Trickster. Who else could make her act sensibly? Surely
> not her advisors.

It's an idea.

> > Sorry, I won't be at Tentacles.

> Too bad - apparently last chance to go there.
> (Which reminds me to register...)

I think you'll find you're too late. And that confirms my decision: who was going to be there who I'd travel to Germany to meet, when most people, I can meet in the UK? Very, very, few - and that's another crossed off the list.

> >>  I think the Heortlings would be very disappointed when an invader fails
> >> to produce strange new ideas in their invasions.

> > That disappointment could be the basis of an amusing short story...

> At least some comedy dialogue.

Yes, probably not a full story. Another idea to store away for when needed, though.

> >> French version: Caesar and his legions conquered France and undertook
> >> pacifying expeditions across the borders.

> >> UK version: After conquering France, Caesar campaigned in Britain, and
> >> fought the druids.

> > Surely in both cases we'd say "Gaul"?

> Indeed. The mark of the non-native speaker...

Well, I wondered if you were making the point that they wouldn't know enough to say "Gaul"?

> >> Italian version: Having assured the loyalty of his legions in 10 years
> >> of campaigning in the north, Caesar returned to Italy.

> > Rubicon, etc?

> Yes. More to the point, this is a parallel to the Iceland Saga style "That
> summer he went a-Viking in the western Island, When he returned..."
> disregard for things away from home.

Yes, good point.

> >> US version: Founder of the Roman Empire.

> >From what Chris was saying, would the Americans know that much??

> If they really looked into it, they would recognize it as false... Caesar
> was a dictator in the late Republic. Octavian founded the Empire.

Oh, I know - but I'd have expected "who?"