Wagons

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2009 20:53:30 +0000 (GMT)

> >>My impression of backcountry Sartar is one of no wagon traffic for
> >>transporting goods, or even taxes.

> > Well taxes are going to be either silver coin or cattle, probably
> > a mixture and with other goods as well. The total taxes paid by a
> > typical clan is 500 cows or 10,000 Lunars. So even if the clan
> > gathers everything in one place and sends it to the tribe at one
> > time it's barely going to be a full wagon load. And you don't keep
> > a wagon for one use a year without ritual reasons.

> Yes. Wagons will be used for traffic across the Pass, but not for trade between clans or even tribes.

I'm pretty sure there *are* ritual reasons to have a wagon. Isn't every Orlanthi priest obliged to have one?

Yes, looking at the version in River of Cradles, p159: "The priest must own a cart to carry the necessary paraphenalia for services. This cart must be at least two-wheeled, and drawn by at least two oxen."

Two oxen? That's quite some cart! What's he carrying around, a portable stone circle?