Re: Re: Three Lunar Associations

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 01:13:27 GMT

In message <242187.9179.qm_at_...> Chris Lemens writes:

>I'm woefully ignorant of the politics there (repeat that a bunch of
>times for emphasis, please),

So are we all. This is just my speculation on what politics would be consistant with what we know from KoS and elsewhere. Don't let ignorance stop you from suggesting ideas.

>but does this mean that one of these associations is essentially
>supporting the Lunar Kings of Tarsh in a long-term effort to build
>a southward-reaching kingdom that would some day be sufficient to
>break free from the lunars? (And that, as part of that effort, they
>are breeding super-heroines, for whom the Empire takes the credit,
>but over whom it ultimately has limited control?)

Hon-Eel is the third inspiration of Moonson. Among other things she founded the Lunar dynasty in Tarsh. She founded the dynasty which led to the fourth inspiration of Moonson - Jar-Eel (See ILH2 page 71). I am suggesting there is an Association of which these two Houses (or Leagues) are part.

I don't think there is any plan to break free of the Empire but there will be scheming for influence with the Emperor. Both Hon-Eel and Jar-Eel remain loyal to the Emperor throughout.

>If so, that would be a lot of fun.

That's what this group is for, devising fun stories and background.

>It would also help me understand better why a lot of King of Sartar
>seems like it's a three-cornered conflict between Argrath, Tarsh,
>and the Empire.

In the Dragon Pass area that's what it is. However while Sartar is generally one corner Tarsh has at least two - Lunar Tarsh and the Tarsh Exiles.

We seem to be coming to the conclusion that Lunar Tarsh has two separate political groups. One centred around Hon-Eel's dynasty and the Tarsh Royal Family while the second is spread about the Lunar provinces but particularly Holay and Tarsh. The conflict between these two means that when Fazzur falls out with the Tarsh Royal Family in 1625 you get a Tarsh Civil War in 1630 with the Empire supporting one side and Argrath Prince of Sartar the other.

In addition there is the Assiday family who are competing with both the Tarsh Royal Family and Fazzur's Association although after Tatius's death in 1625 they seem to disappear from the story.

There's a general consensus that Imperial politics are best described as 'Byzantine'. Given earlier discussions about recognisable analogues I'd better explain that one.

The Lunar Emperor, like the Byzantine Emperor, rules by divine appointment. It is not only treason to challenge him but blasphamy as well. However an Emperor can be mislead by stupid or corrupt advisors so the important families make sure their interests are protected by getting their own people appointed as advisors. Every one of those advisors will claim to be acting in the best interests of the Empire and its Emperor while denegrating their rivals. It is purely co-incidental that the best interests of the Empire happen to match the desires of the advisor's sponsor. The analogy breaks down in that Byzantine Emperors died frequently and were sometimes overthrown. With the Lunars when the death of an Emperor occurs he is reborn with a different mask. At least from an official position he is the same Emperor.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/