Re: Chilly kings' halls as bomb shelters

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2009 01:02:26 GMT

In message <397749.36566.qm_at_...> Jane Williams writes:
>Me:
>
>> Jonstown Compendium #1,483
>> What Alfgar Whitecloak, chieftain of the Gray Fox Clan of the Sambari,
>> heard from a man in Backford:
><snip>
>> Sounds pleasant and hospitable :)
>
>Joerg:
>> All you need is a bit of Ernalda magic - the trick Ivarne Frozen Woman
>> used to survive the Darkness until rescued by Heort.
>
>Ernaldan magic, here used by what seems to be a predominantly male
>group? Could be, I suppose. I can't remember what that trick was: do
>we know?

If it's Heort's hall then his wife should be there - the speaker just didn't mention her.

The snag is that if there is some Ernaldan magic like this it is going to work on women only. There ought to be - surviving death through sleep is a basic Ernaldan myth.

>> Of course, that implies you have a rescuer (who will marry the
>> rescuee afterwards?). Which might be the task of a player character
>> (in either position).
>
>But from the look of the description this *is* Heort's Hall. He can't
>be both hall-owner and rescuer, can he?

The magic may still be usable but why is Heort's hall so inhospitable?

Here's an idea. This is Heort's hall while Ivarne is still imprisoned and the HQer who ends up here has to perform the HQ of rescuing her. Doesn't explain how they survive until then.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/