Re: Chilly kings' halls as bomb shelters

From: donald_at_...
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2009 12:12:42 GMT

In message <274755.27568.qm_at_...> Jane Williams writes:

>> I think the point is that you succeed or fail HQs at stations. Anything
>> else is background so becomes an automatic success.
>
>But
>a) this isn't background
>b) even if it was, background that's just weird with no explanation
>is an annoying waste of time. Well, unless you're trying to give the
>impression that the PCs are all on hallucinogenics.

Or that the short world is unnatural - the normal rules of the mundane world don't apply. Perhaps this is an extreme example but I think there is a lot of this sort of thing in the other worlds - travelling vast distances in a short space of time, doors opening in unexpected places, etc.

>>It still leaves the question of how Heort does it. Whatever he did, you
>>do that, sure: but what?
>
>> Might be as simple as "endure cold".
>
>Could be, but in that case you'd better be good at it.

Yes. And probably strongly augmented by the reason you are there in the first place. The person telling of the place in the extract you quoted hadn't that incentive. So he came home.

>> It could easily be a short world where you don't *need* to eat or
>>drink.
>
>Now that's an idea!
>
>> You spend the time in prayer
>> because that's the most useful thing to do.
>
>Well, yes, but.... somehow I'd expect a band of Orlanthi warriors
>to have at least a dice game going. Maybe they're in some mythic
>role where that *isn't* normal behaviour?

Thinking about it I'm not sure what Orlanthi warriors praying actually do. It might well involve ritual contests of knife throwing and arm wrestling. Although this seems to be a gathering of warrior chieftains so might be rather different.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/