Re: Chilly kings' halls as bomb shelters

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 23:36:01 +0200 (CEST)

Donald:
>> I think the point is that you succeed or fail HQs at stations. Anything >> else is background so becomes an automatic success.

Not quite. There can be personal issues which interfere with the quest, which may result in extracurricular contests.

Jane Williams
> But
> a) this isn't background
> b) even if it was, background that's just weird with no explanation is an
> annoying waste of time. Well, unless you're trying to give the impression
> that the PCs are all on hallucinogenics.

When I said "simple success", I did not say "automatic success. If the character had performed a sufficient amount of identification with the role model, it would have the quest item powers of the role model at that point of the quest. Having a stand-in in say the Urox role (a good fighter, but not a bully) would mean that success wouldn't be simple any more.