Re: Smuggling weapons from Prax to Whitewall?

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2009 16:58:58 -0700 (PDT)

Prax population for whatever calculation you wanted to do: Bison: 80,000
High Llama: 65,000
Impala: 120,000
Morocanth: 80,000
Rhino: small, probably 10,000 or so
Sable: 75,000
All other tribes: probably less than 25,000 Oasis people: who cares? They don't make weapons! Bastards: who cares? Raid them!

So, total is no more than 455,000.

Now, not all of those are in Prax. Most are in the wastes. Sables and Morocanth are much more common in Prax up until 1621. So, I'd say that mayb a third of the sables and moros are in Prax, and 10% of the others. So, maybe 80,000 in Prax. But a good 25,000 of those are _aligned_ with the Lunars. So, let's say 55,000 people.

Then, we need a ratio of bowyers to people. It will be different by tribe. (Rhino Khan say "bow? Who needs that?") I think Donald intended to use a ratio of 1 to 200 (but I think he mixed up some numbers in what he intended). Let's try using that. That would give us 275 bowyers. These bowyers don't have workshops where they can store stuff during construction. If they need to keep stuff clamped while the pieces adhere, they will either have to pack it carefully or -- more likely -- work on it at the beginning of periods where they expect to remain in one place for a time (when they arrive at a rich new graze or at the beginning of winter weather). So, I think a few each year seems reasonable. They could probably churn out crap for export more quickly, but they still have to make bows for their own people. So, let's say that they could manage a total of 500 for export. I think that's consistent with Donald's 100-200 per season (which includes those for  the home market).

Then, there's the ones that the Sables capture. Of course, what does a Sable do with a crappy bow made by a Bison bowyer? Sell it off to whoever will take it. Like depserate Heortlanders.

Chris Lemens