Re: So what've we got for John?

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 2009 12:50:05 +0000 (GMT)

>> I did consider starting up a  new Wiki and transferring and tidying both
>> at the same time, but then went back to writing fiction instead.

> Let's make a call for volunteers as soon as we have a platform.

http://whitewallwiki.pbworks.com/

No content as yet, world-read, edit by people I approve or invite. You'll need a PBworks account. I have no idea how the approval process works, but I'll set up more people as admins as soon as there's someone to add.

>> Physical layout of the general area and of the City itself: got, mostly.

> In text. What I would like to have is a 2D or better 3D map of the place.

I thought we had a basic 2D map, at least? I'm sure we did: I've been working to it in stories!

> All maps made by me are in an early develomental stage, and I would adapt
> them to any required or wanted changes.

If you could put them on the new Wiki as a priority, I'd appreciate it.

> That would include changes to incorporate material from the History of the
> Heortling Peoples - a course which I would advocate.

Hmm... we're going to have to be careful there. When we're told that the authors made no real attempt to stay consistent with existing Glorantha, we'll have to check each fact as we pick it up, we can't trust them. This is why I've never bothered getting a copy. If you're willing to do their work for them, by all means go ahead, we'll use what we can - rather like with RQA.

> All the myths we made can be kept, anyway - even if HotHP marks them as
> "factually wrong", they could have been made right in the Imperial Age by
> either of the three conflict partners (GLs, EWF or Old Day Traditionalists).

Oh, yes, clashing myths are always fun. So you "prove" the one you want by HQing.

> I think that the Volsaxi influence is not that great - after all their
> lands get overrun by the Lunars while Brian is holed up.

Fair enough. Some will be loyal to him, I expect - he's that sort of guy.

>> NPCs on the Lunar side:
>> At least here we're balanced. We know things about the commanders, we
>> have a fair idea of the units present at any given time.

>We sort of lack some colour in the understructure - camp followers, Lunar camp life...

That's where I'm hoping Donald's story NPCs, and a few of mine, may come in handy.

> Broyan's tie-in with Vingkot - make sure we know how this works, and what
> long-term quests he and his ring are doing when.

> In that case you will have to deal with the "what an abomination, he has
> the Kodigvari tattoos" theme

er.... what? I expect I'm happy to do so, I can add tattoos to any physical description of Broyan in stories (I've been very vague so far), but I don't understand the "abomination" aspect?

> A collection of ways in which the Bat has been dealt with so far?
> In that case add Arkat overcoming the bat (and skinning it) in the First Age.

Indeed: but I was thinking more of "this is how other campaigns have solved this problem, read, be inspired, or laugh". Examples such as the rubble runner dropping a grenade in its ear...

> The final fall, as I recall it, was rather disappointing, as far as player
> contributions go, unless your players are content to sit in the ice as one
> of the dozen or so companions of Broyan.

yes... well, I doubt if they'd stay there long, but yes.

> I'd hate to see "this far, we needed you, now go save your hindsides while
> we chosen few sit it out and bluff the Lunars",

23 bodies....

> but I wouldn't be happier with "you join mighty King Broyan and his immediate circle in the ice".

for a quick breather before going on to Spread the Word. But I know what you mean.

> What I would like to see is Kallyr (or someone else) frantically
> organizing oodles of support heroquests/rites that keep the besieging
> Lunars mistaking the magical resistance of Broyan with active defense.

Or genuinely trying to keep the Lunars out for just long enough for Broyan to do whatever he's doing and return to the mundane here in time to escape. Returning to the mundane to find the city destroyed might be a bit fatal for him.

Actually, apart from my bias, that's a good role for Kallyr. Rigsdal guards the stead while Orlanth (or is he Vingkot by now?) is away Doing Stuff. Given the level of her loyalty to Broyan, I think the general situation we want is that she may or may not be capable of keeping the defences up for long enough without PC help, but she's definitely capable of killing herself trying.

That's one bit I could usefully pick up (once trimmed) from the Swords plot and bits of story - I have a pretty good idea what she's doing, how, and why. Added to to-do list.

>> We also have assorted works of fiction by many people,...
> I'd go the nostalgic way and make them sidebar stories as in Cults of Prax.

Just as long as they aren't a Trade-talk style sidebar about 10 characters wide and unreadable :(