Re: Volsaxi

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2009 20:17:01 GMT

In message <365124.51253.qm_at_...> Jane Williams writes:

>From: Joerg Baumgartner joe_at_...

>>> The Lunars also have a supply problem - they need lots more stuff
>>> than the Orlanthi and there are plenty of Orlanthi about who will
>>> try an see they don't get it. Their main routes seem to be from
>>> Wilmskirk in the north and Smithstone in the south.
>
>>> Yes, plenty of caravan-ambush action there.
>
>> A whole story arc here: the dissolution of the Kultain tribe.
>
>I hadn't realised that. Do you have material ready to go on the subject?
>I'd appreciate a quick overview in any case, make sure I'm getting the
>background for stories right.

There's the paragraph on page 9 of Barbarian Adventures. Unless there's something elsewhere it's just a story hook left dangling. As written it doesn't fit particularly well. In 1619 there aren't enough priests at WW to justify an entire caravan of concubines.

>> Unfortunately for the theme of the collection, away from Whitewall...
>> Fine with me (see above), but possibly disappointing player
>> expectations.
>
>well, getting people out of WW has been a theme all along. I don't see
>a problem with it continuing until nearly the end. The last minute escape
>as the city collapses around them is a standard feature of James Bond
>films, let's borrow it.

If we get the tone right the players should see getting away as a success. The city is doomed and that's been obvious to everyone for at least a season. Even Humakti will retreat when they're needed as a rearguard.

>> As far as the siege is concerned, yes. But in a Lunar game (Tarsh
>> War style), the siege would be only the background colour while the
>> intrigues and power games go on in the camp.
>
>Good point. Trying to arrange NOT to be in the group whose souls get
>sacrificed to create ramps, for instance.

Or having the inspiration to sacrifice souls so the ramps don't collapse. Mind you that is the way Charmanda thinks.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/