Re: Volsaxi

From: donald_at_...
Date: Fri, 03 Jul 2009 02:02:29 GMT

In message <986037.14677.qm_at_...> Jane Williams writes:

>> When I wrote the story that follows from I didn't envisage the stead
>> as being backward. They don't have cows because they're poor and the
>> land is unsuitable for cattle or plowing.
>
>Yes... as I said, Kallyr may be just a bit biased, and her informant
>certainly is. Still, to some extent she's right. They have poor land
>- why haven't they taken some better land? Losers.

I'm surprised Kallyr thinks like that. I would have expected her to be more in touch with ordinary people. They aren't any poorer than the typical cottar, i.e. 70-80% of the population. Certainly they aren't all stickpickers which is the Sartarite definition of a loser. The contrast is between their lifestyle and that of the carls and weaponthanes who make up most PCs.

>> It becomes an issue because there isn't a separate loom house
>> so the main hall has "women's space" and "men's space" with
>> the inevitable question - is a Vingan a man or a woman?
>
>And the assumptions they make, while reasonable, differ from reality
>in several practical areas.

They are mythically true - for them.

> It's all good fun.

Indeed.