Re: Volsaxi

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2009 13:31:33 +0200 (CEST)

Me:
>>> A whole story arc here: the dissolution of the Kultain tribe.

Jane:

>>I hadn't realised that. Do you have material ready to go on the subject?
>>I'd appreciate a quick overview in any case, make sure I'm getting the
>>background for stories right.

Donald:
> There's the paragraph on page 9 of Barbarian Adventures. Unless there's
> something elsewhere it's just a story hook left dangling. As written it
> doesn't fit particularly well. In 1619 there aren't enough priests at
> WW to justify an entire caravan of concubines.

Plenty of officers even with Jorkandos Blinder's covering force, and - more importantly - if the caravan carries concubines, it also carries all other kinds of luxury goods for the officer corps, the priests (the ones who summon the bat), quite a lot of it already paid for, too.

I find it likely that the caravan was meant to continue to Karse, where Fazzur sat with the main expeditionary force. Enough to create a major outrage among bureaucrats and officers personally affected.

There is little published about the incident. In the Wilmskirk group (inactive, but still online) Alex Ferguson has done some work on the Kultain.

>>> Unfortunately for the theme of the collection, away from Whitewall...
>>> Fine with me (see above), but possibly disappointing player
>>> expectations.

>>well, getting people out of WW has been a theme all along. I don't see
>>a problem with it continuing until nearly the end. The last minute escape
>>as the city collapses around them is a standard feature of James Bond >>films, let's borrow it.

> If we get the tone right the players should see getting away as a
> success. The city is doomed and that's been obvious to everyone for
> at least a season. Even Humakti will retreat when they're needed as
> a rearguard.

Right. So this becomes the narrative challenge, then.

>>> As far as the siege is concerned, yes. But in a Lunar game (Tarsh
>>> War style), the siege would be only the background colour while the
>>> intrigues and power games go on in the camp.

>>Good point. Trying to arrange NOT to be in the group whose souls get >>sacrificed to create ramps, for instance.

> Or having the inspiration to sacrifice souls so the ramps don't
> collapse. Mind you that is the way Charmanda thinks.

And it would save lives, rather than arbitrarily destroy some - otherwise, entire regiments could have been wiped out.