Re: Re: Mountains in Dragon Pass

From: donald_at_...
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 00:57:04 GMT

In message <252864.17499.qm_at_...> Jane Williams writes:

>> Finally, given that Kero Fin itself is 10 miles high on a 20 mile
>>base, I think it is perfectly acceptable for the Stormwalks to
>>be 1.5 to 2 miles high on a similar base.
>
>Only if you have the "norm" as seriously different from how the world
>we're used to works, and that's no good to play in. One magically
>ridiculous mountain, yes, but not as the norm, any more than talking
>fish are the norm.

I checked the map in Glorantha IttHW to see how DP fitted into the surrounding areas. The Stormwalk Mountains carry on south to within twenty miles of the coast with no indication there is a reduction in height. There's presumably some increase in height between the coast and Dragon Pass if only to allow the rivers to run down but it's not big enough to show on the map. So not the two or three thousand feet required to make it fit.

Incidently if we're using the Alps as a model people mainly live in the valleys which may be relatively high up but aren't the dramatic mountains we're talking about. When I was in the Austrian Tyrol many years ago it was less rugged than most of the pennines, never mind Wales.

There's another snag in that with all the ski resorts and modifications for tourists getting around is far easier than it would have been in the past. The one big mountain we did visit had a path wide enough for vehicles up to the summer snowline. I doubt anywhere in Sartar has anything like that so high.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/