Re: Re: Mountains in Dragon Pass

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 07:37:23 +0000 (GMT)

> I checked the map in Glorantha IttHW to see how DP fitted into the
> surrounding areas. The Stormwalk Mountains carry on south to within
> twenty miles of the coast with no indication there is a reduction in
> height. There's presumably some increase in height between the coast
> and Dragon Pass if only to allow the rivers to run down but it's not
> big enough to show on the map. So not the two or three thousand feet
> required to make it fit.

(nods) I ran into that problem when trying to do a 3D model of the area. You can't give it much base altitude at all. You do get a climate more like Alps than Britain at the north end, because it's so far inland, but not the base altitude.

> Incidently if we're using the Alps as a model people mainly live in
> the valleys which may be relatively high up but aren't the dramatic
> mountains we're talking about.

This is why I was looking at the much lower part Jeff mentioned: nothing like as stunning as the 10,000 ft bits I'd have liked that are what first comes to mind when thinking "Alp", but with some chance of fitting.

>When I was in the Austrian Tyrol many years ago it was less rugged than most of the pennines, never mind Wales.

??? I've never tried the Tyrol, but that was why I was checking pics: it did look slightly more "pointy" than the average bit of Snowdonia. (I'm not even bothering to consider the rest of Wales: much too rounded and gentle!) Pennines? A lovely place, but if you've found anything rugged, I'd love to know where.

> There's another snag in that with all the ski resorts and
> modifications for tourists getting around is far easier than it
> would have been in the past. The one big mountain we did visit
> had a path wide enough for vehicles up to the summer snowline.

Well, yes, you do have to visualise it without all that, but that goes for anywhere. Snowdon can only be considered without benefit of little railway and cafe. Take a look at the pre-modern use of the place. Ancient tracks, sites of hillforts and stone castles, that sort of thing: myths that say what happens if you spend the night on top (indicating that this is an option). It may look impossibly difficult to us now, but if a sheep can get there, it can be farmed. And we do know the northern Stormwalks are passable in winter, without magic - just. Still, even the Matterhorn is climbable - my next door neighbour did it when she was in the Air Force.

> I doubt anywhere in Sartar has anything like that so high.
The dramatic Alpine bits? Me too. There just isn't room - Sartar is tiny! Mt Quivin itself is probably pretty tall, since it's volcanic (harder rock), and semi-magical, but still not that big. The Rockwoods are another matter, though I've never looked in detail.