Re: Re: Mountains in Dragon Pass

From: Joerg Baumgartner <joe_at_...>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 10:55:12 +0200 (CEST)

Jane Williams
>> Defining a mountain by absolute height has always stricken me as
>> somewhat
>> silly. It is elevation above the surrounding land which makes a
>> mountain,
>
> Which is precisely what we were looking at earlier. Subtracting the "base"
> altitude from the max altitude was part of every comparison, and we never
> did manage to find anything where that difference was more than about 4000
> feet in a "range" only 10 miles wide.

Which is why I brought up the Lyngs Alpen. Glacial troughs to either side can happen anywhere with ice cover at some time, and from the reactions to Fimbulwinter and Heort's liberation of Frozen Woman Ivarne I can only guess that at some point during the Darkness, there was glaciation in the region.

However, in the case of the Stormwalks, there are no carved-out valleys to either side of the range, but plateaus - not really flat, but rather uniform until the rugged foothills start. (For comparison, Garmisch-Partenkirchen sits right in a trough valley a glacier had carved, and the Zugspitze nearby is nothing but a higher ridge left standing between two carved-out valleys as a consequence to the last glaciations. It may have started differently, as a fault preceding the main fault of the Alps, but modern morphology is one of erosion and glacial carving, not the original upfolding.)

We have two different myths of origin for the Stormwalks, and ancillary myths of a protective wall against the Praxians (which may have meant Tada's people or the chaos invasion - IMO the beast riders were only visitors during Tada's reign, and turned warlike only after Waha showed them the way of the butcher).

One is the generic "sons of that mountain father in the deep - usually Lodril, Vestkarthan, Turos, etc - rose from the ground" or its local variation "children of Kero Fin (and Vestkarthan - in case of Quivin) rose from the ground", maybe even a stray side range from Larnste planting the Rockwoods, indicating volcanism or salt tectonics to produce individual peaks.

Those processes can produce children - lesser peaks, maybe foothills. Or the foothills can be the remains of overcome foes etc if "not rooted deep within the earth" (i.e. tumbled up sedimentary material).

Then we have the Gloranthan equivalent of plate tectonics. In the case of the Storm Mountains, the consequences of Larnste's Footprint, which wasn't just a vertical stomp but also kicked up a folding line, the Storm Mountains.

Whether there are other such incidences in Gloranthan geology is a different contention, but in this case there is a tectonic event to produce these mountains.

Last not least there is sedimentation for the creation of mountains - if we accept that the rivers flowed uphill for a significant time. They would carry along detritus and sediment it in their upper courses, a reversal of normal sedimentation, so we can expect riverine deposits as soft hills in the foothills of mountains, and possibly even entire mountains piled up by extremely erosive invading rivers.