Re: Re: Mountains in Dragon Pass

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_...>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 23:12:07 -0700 (PDT)

> Your Mountains May Vary.

Not while I'm climnbing them they don't!

> The fancy mountains are not physically high anyway right - they are
> magically high.

We know that. They're not under discussion.

> Just use whatever is locally accepted as a huge impressive mountain
> for descriptive purposes - whether that is Aorangi, Everest, or the
> Swiss Alps.

Oh, don't be daft! So one player's looking at the Alps, another at the Himalayas, and another at a 500-ft hill? While all travelling across them at the same speed? And if you're using a pre-written scenario, the writer had another set of assumptions entirely, and didn't tell you which ones?

Can you imagine the plans? "So we walk up the valley, we'll be there lunchtime." "No, we rope up, and use iceaxes, and take enough food for a week."

Or the reactions to bits of scenario plot?

"A week later, and your scout has not returned."
"Well, no, it's a long way, might take him ten days."
"Huh? It's two hours walk!"