Re: Re: Mountains in Dragon Pass

From: donald_at_...
Date: Sat, 05 Sep 2009 02:51:33 GMT

In message <62743.91.35.84.225.1252057981.squirrel_at_...> "Joerg Baumgartner" writes:

>> If Dragon Pass was sketched today, in whatever official-cum-fandom manner
>> we possess, would it contain slumbering dragon-mountains, the Dragonewts,
>> zombies, ducks, dwarfs, Grazers, Sun Domers, barbarians, trolls, wasp
>> riders, giant windmills, Earth cultists, giant flowers, demon-horse riders
>> &c. in such kaleidoscopic proximity? I doubt it.
>
>Ok. How many Skyfalls/Eternal Battles/Footprints/Craters are we going to
>tolerate? Judging from the Dragon Pass boardgame, there should be about 20
>superheroes in Genertela, or else all of Genertela comes to Dragon Pass.

Well Jar-Eel comes from the Imperial Heartlands. I'm not sure where Harrak comes from but I don't think it is Sartar. Androgeus is described as existing since before the Dawn. Certainly Dragon Pass draws superheros to it but they don't stay there.

So I'd expect a couple of superheros in the west and maybe a similar number from the east. Sheng Seleris is possibly one of them. I'm not sure how you tell a Kralorian superhero from a dragon though.

>Elder weirdness may have become quite rare. I remember some of the
>"bummer" feeling when encountering the Feldichi artefact in the Dorastor
>book (when my expectations would have been similar to the ancient world of
>the Wheel of Time universe - which wasn't published until later).

I feel most of the world shattering weirdness is already known about. But there's plenty of room for local strangeness of all sorts. And it's tempting to disregard just how strange magic is. In many cultures everyone knows of individuals who can emulate their god. To me that means they appear to be the god when they do so. They become bigger, their features and clothes change. They perform the act and then return to their normal selves. Imagine encountering a stranger who turns into a god you've never heard of.

>However, there have been some such revelations. Alkothi are underworld
>demons of a different kind than either Ethilrist's horses or the Uz,
>taking on human appearance. So are Kitori (and yet different).

I don't think anyone has even started counting all the different underworlds and hells. I think each culture has a least one and we know the Lunars have several. There's probably an Esrolian hell ruled by men. "If you don't do what grandmother wants, that's where you'll end up".

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/