Re: Second Age coins

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_qsh1ElARfgpR2WU-zkvcub_5fqykiUWxiaeaqXhzEyKoD9WOEqXGQYSqno3zd>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 18:30:33 +0000 (GMT)

> I am running a game set in the Second Age (the game
> system is irrelevant to
> this discussion) and am thinking about coins. I seem
> to recall that the
> silver coin was introduced to Peloria by the Lunars.
> Prior to that, the gold
> "Wheel" was the only coin in use. Is this true? What
> about the copper coin?
> Where and when did that come from?

My memories of coinage are vague, I'm afraid, but may possibly prompt more accurate memories from someone else. So here's some scraps and fragments.

I'm pretty sure that there's something in the Yelorna write-up about them having an argument with the Lunars over who "owned" Silver: the Yelornans had it first. Whether they made coins from it, I have no idea.

Making Wheels was a power of the Lokarnos cult, the Lunar/Solar god of trade. Wasn't it a RQ Divine Magic spell?

The copper coin was known, somewhere, as a "guilder", created by guilds. If the Issaries cult wasn't involved here I'll be very surprised.

Trolls have Bolgs, made of lead. Exchange rate for your copper coins depends whether you're troll or human (but they make good slingshots).