Re: A description of Whitewall from the Book of Heortling History

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_fBORSbWnyJMpPLRWgr5_gvsgLGolQBwWh3YW2iytM-9EsfW14fkY8CWmjdS8W3HgZVe2>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 22:21:09 -0000

> > [1] Ililbervor is the traditional Orlanthi name for Whitewall.
>
> Or Iliabervor (in Storm Tribe, p.137, not identified as Whitewall
> there). A name change, or a misspelling by the chronist (who appears
> to be a non-Heortling)? Worcha is mis-spelled as well.

Most likely. I think Ililbervor is the name in the Second and Third Age (since I have lots more material calling it Ililbervor than Iliabervor). Worcha was a misspelling by the chronicler.

> Personally, I prefer to pronounce the Storm Tribe spelling...

Take your pick. You know that each Lhankhor Mhy Great Temple has a slightly different standard standard for spelling? Much like medieval Latin (which had wild variations in spelling of places and names) or pre-OED English.

> Another interesting factoid: Whitewall is not the site where the
> Garanvuli survived into the Dawn - that's Seriasdova, a little further
> south, on the Marzeel River.

Yep. BTW, there is a fair amount of material on the Garanvuli in the Book of Heortling History, including some material on some of their ancient kings, the demise of the tribe at Night and Day, and various other bits. But Whitewall is not Seriasdova.

> Over on the Whitewall discussion list and wiki we agreed that the
> citadel was not well-positioned as permanently inhabited place. I
> still wonder why the Garanvuli survivors chose to give up a place with
> granaries etc. for a presumably less defensible temple site.

They didn't. Whitewall was built in the First Age by Jan the Maker. The granaries, etc., were built by Jan and by a number of later (Second Age) Hendriking kings. And there's lots more history of the region (obviously) in the Book of Heortling History. Lots.

Jeff