Re: silver coins

From: Dan Guillou <dguillou_at_u2jNG91gR3aCzq8oLdxHZRc5cKAf9Dz4ZXsOaiIRjV548P-nhbP5r0g3FYt1IP4TYrp>
Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 15:38:36 +0100

I don't believe there's a single standardized weight of silver coins at all. Rather, the "penny" is a game mechanic, representing a rough amount of moneys worth, in silver. It's not even a specific weight of silver, since different coinages are unequally diluted. (So, negoitiating the actual value of whats in a purse would probably be an intrinsic part of bargaining, whenever silver is used as means of payment.)
Of course, lunar administration as well as royal sartar households, and everyone else that turns out all these pennies, stars, lunars and so on, they all would claim that their currency is pure silver, absolutely reliable, uncuttable and tamper-proof. But in my Glorantha, the only money that actually is like that, is the wheel. That's what why Lokarnos is the solar god of trade. Because of him, society has a universally reliable and fixed currency. And that's why they are the ones with an empire.
Dan Guillou