Sages in Heortland and the Holy Country

From: parental_unit_2 <parental_unit_2_at_Vm__h1E9lEeu43E78bwqWcd2CdQA9RKO3GZwUwce5QahcvQtjnZe0LB1R42Z>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 18:51:13 -0000

[This is something I wrote for Jeff Richard's Sartar game when I started playing a sage character from Heortland. I pulls together some information from _Storm Tribe_ with a couple of ideas we had -- Rob Helm]

As elsewhere in Heortling lands, sages in Esrolia and Heortland traditionally served chiefs and kings as lawgivers, historians, seers, and advisers. Powerful kings supported groups of sages and granted them lands and herds, thus founding libraries that trained apprentices and collected original works. Each library evolved its own doctrine and fought running doctrinal battles with the other libraries.

Then the God-King seized the property of the libraries in his domain, defined a Final Doctrine for the cult, and centralized all training and collections at the Final Information Library in the City of Wonders. Traditional clan sages resisted for some time, but many eventually left the Holy Country with other traditionalists. While some regional libraries remain (e.g. in Jansholm), their apprentices are trained according to the Final Doctrine, and their collections are only copies of those in the Final Information Library. Many sages are supported directly by the God-King's officials, and clan sages now follow the Final Doctrine except in the most benighted hill clans.

However, a few libraries south of Sartar retain some independence despite the Finalization: