Re: The God Learners Secret

From: David Cake <dave_at_a1TEVnT4InX9kEUPVQgfBdSPaSHOTRIPO4nQIm8kwxWWp1edHmPW2ukH-EzPJuxDPTLXvdq>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 11:59:09 +0900

At 9:00 AM -0800 20/2/07, Greg Stafford wrote:
>Jane was the only person who pointed out that we have an idea of what
>happened, but not how.
>
>I don't want to just blurt everything out. Your discussions and
>speculations are entertaining for me and useful to contribute to the
>Big Picure. So keep speculating!

        It occurred to me that we have a functional description of what the God Learners were able to accomplish, but not the reasons why. They, as men, where able to make mythological changes that previously people would have only associated with the acts of gods.

        There are plenty of possible ways in which the God Learners could understand the world to give them that ability. One logical answer is that God Learners knew that the myths were made be men, not gods. Or that all the gods were once men. Or that all men are like small gods. Or that the gods are real, but they never change their myths themselves and lack free will, all such changes are made by mortals (and anyone can learn how). Perhaps all these points of view are the same thing expressed differently.

        My disappointment with the God Learners secret in the second age book is not what it is - the God Learners are able to do exactly what I always presumed they could. The problem is how it is expressed - if it was expressed in terms of what they believe they know about the true nature of the gods, rather than what they can do to them, it would sound far more dramatic and heretical.

>But I will point out another key to the GL Secret: Samin.
>He's on page 40 of the _Middle Sea Empire_ book.
>He's the one who gave them the so-called _RuneQuest Sight_. This
>pseudo visionary perception is what keyed the GL into start doing what
>they did.

        Samin doesn't give the RuneQuest Sight directly, rather some silly songs which ultimately lead to the discovery of the Five New Ways Gimoire. Presumably the RuneQuest Sight is one of the Five New Ways?

        But yes - Samin is awfully suspicious. A naughty little imp that just happens to lead the way to cosmic secrets. Associated with an unknown Old Old Lady (goddess?), and with a unique and astonishing magic item that just might be an Arkati device. I certainly have my ideas about this little rascal.

        (and BTW - despite Greg here giving Samins appearance as pg 40, and the index saying he is on pg 42, he is actually on pg 41)

	Cheers
		David