Re: The God Learners Secret

From: Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_R5shR52_nwspFP8dGCv6SQ4t6DWhGi_EYgtJhinrbfVqHpVHJ_kfJuDHYV68Uy54-si>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 00:03:56 +1300

At 11:40 p.m. 21/02/2007, you wrote:

>However, I have always believed that Arkat did make some permanent
>changes, too.

>First of all, he changed himself and his companions. I see the Uz
>Ritual of Rebirth as as form of
>Heroquest.

Which isn't a change in myth or landscape and it existed before Arkat. Arkat was
merely the first to be reborn with companions.

>Second, the old Glorantha book from the boxed set G:GCotHW stated
>that Arkat left guardians at
>Hero Plane "crossroads" where standard quests might interfere with
>one another (maybe at the
>crossing points between differen Otherworlds).

It depends on the circumstances of the creation of the guardians. Other sources
imply that these guardians were caused by Arkat meeting himself. Because Arkat met himself there, subsequent heroquestors will also meet Arkat there. In any case, simply adding a denizen to a mythic place is far from the change that the God Learners indulged in.

>This implies that he did know the paths for potentially dangerous HQ
>variations, i.e. the ones that
>can change myth, and that he wanted to block others' attempts to
>walk through them.

Arkat doesn't actually strike me as being the sort of person concerned about the bad things that can go wrong with heroquesting - for him, only one thing counted: Kill Gbaji.

--Peter Metcalfe