Is magic supposed to be so difficult?

From: valkoharja <rintasaa_at_1O0Lp1p93AABjxsk8K0nvLCdNoQQS4Vf4ikGAJe7BZ8oK5RK8sIpZXxPVFGbPFhISfW>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 19:18:00 -0000

[It's really neat having mr. Stafford participate in the discussions.]

I run my Glorantha games on several different game systems, depending on what I want to emphasize in the given campaign.

In HeroQuest magic, at least the theist variety, costs more heropoints to develop than other skills. My question is, does this reflect Gloranthan reality, or is it some sort of game balance artefact.

Are powerful magicians rarer than skilled swordsmen for instance. Is a character with 10w2 in an affinity a much rarer individual than one with 10w2 in a non-magical skill?

  -Adept