Re: Great secrets II : Syndic's ban

From: Kevin McDonald <kpmcdona_at_VyGNTMAtUzI_5LFO5ovMhcwhUKFiVYKeGpbqqJ9nnMJTkWJvAPfvPIbllrQGYAjuS7F>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 18:05:11 -0500

> > > 7) What is hidden in Charg ?
> >
> > Since half of the respondants were glad to have mystries, I will not
> > answer this secret. Or rather, at least not at this time. Maybe some
> > day in the future when I publish the Great Argrath Campaign or
> > sometime like that.

I am a big fan of mysteries, but Charg ain't one of them! The GL Secret? Sure! Arkat/Nysalor/Gbaji? Absolutely! But Charg? That's just a plot thing to me, and withholding the info doesn't seem all that helpful. I am probably prejudiced by the fact that my HeroQuest game set in Carmania has now reached the point where the Ban in Charg should be falling. I have to make up something fast! I have been thinking about it for a while now, and I still don't have anything that I really like. I want something that takes history and gives it a big unexpected twist. Here are a few possibilities:

  1. The Ban doesn't fall - it expands. The denizens of Charg have found a way to manipulate the ban and have been preventing its fall as a protective measure. Now they are using it as a tool for conquest.
  2. Charg contains a Neo-carmanian kingdom run by the descendants of refugees from the Blood Kings War and the White Bear Empire. I call this is the Martin Laurie option, per his Gwandor campaign. The development of this neo-carmanian kingdom might have been influenced by Mostali from the Rockwoods, local Orlanthi tribes, the Charg bull-men, Sweet Sea Leaguers, and possibly others.
  3. The neo-carmanian kingdom option could be twisted so that they worship Ganesatarus instead of Idovanus. Maybe the kingdom was corrupted Blue Vadeli who had been hiding under the Sweet Sea all this time. Come to think of it, I am not sure why the Mostali and Vadeli races got along as well as they did in the God Time. One race wants to repair the World Machine and the other apparently wants to destroy it. I must be missing something in the dynamic between those two.
  4. At one point I was thinking of doing a Mostali dominated machine empire where the glorantha equivalent of WWI tanks and aircraft emerge.

None of this quite rings true, though, and time is running out.

Any other wild ideas?

By the way, the trigger I plan to use for the fall of the Ban in Charg is an invasion by Oddi's Bilini tribesmen and Ralzakark's broos - a replay of the Broo invasion of western Peloria from 1120 - 1137 ST. [FS page 45]

~KP