Re: Superstition

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_o-OlJYsRkGiVFyyXYsCe5ihgVRT1ZE2oWe04V-LNwyqxZWcq0gcbO8IqwteHI7c6myaA7UZ>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 19:56:52 -0800

Quoting argant1800 <argant1800_at_FaLYiSD1oAogLG2KM66_zO_Sz4ZIh6ivMFK3ictUp8Qtl5Iuliog5Y6TmnVstIjYFjOzVWFSU_Xw.yahoo.invalid>:

> I meant it as a comparative as these superstitions have taken on a
> supernatural aspect. It borders on the mythical side excepted that
> noone would want to reenact them; in fact it is exactly the contrary.
> Isn't is curious? It has now almost the meaning of a Celtic geas.
>
> Aren't there any culture in Glorantha that is subject to superstition
> because the gods of said culture had to suffer some negative effect
> because of such seemingly unimportant things?

Well, whagt kind of superstition are we talking about?

Wikipedia 1: A superstition is the irrational belief that future events are influenced by specific behaviors, without having a causal relationship.

Wikipedia 2: In the academic discipline of folkloristics the term "superstition" is used to denote any folk belief expressed in if/then (with an optional "unless" clause) format. If you break a mirror, then you will have seven years of bad luck unless you throw all of the pieces into a body of running water.

Oh wait, both of those are surely prevalent in Glorantha!

One of the things that I have always missed discussing in Gloranthan context is the vast body of beliefs and practices like those, many of which are meaningless, with no real effect. But in fact, I am certain they exist extensively.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford