Re: Superstition

From: argant1800 <argant1800_at_wNUCL91QOW2vJ3VDdzfe5ervBr9FE351KZ-bZtgc03fF5ymhLjBdt1ripVtOjMdMz>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:10:55 -0000

> One of the things that I have always missed discussing in
Gloranthan
> context is the vast body of beliefs and practices like those, many
of
> which are meaningless, with no real effect. But in fact, I am
certain
> they exist extensively.
>
> ========================
> Sincerely,
> Greg Stafford
>
> Issaries, Inc.
> c/o Greg Stafford
> 1942 Channing Ave, #204
> Berkeley, CA 94704 USA

My definition of superstition is somewhat different because it doesn't only imply irrational thinking and behaviour but gives power to a seemingly unsignificant event.

>From the Webster, I have: "beliefs or practices resulting from
ingnorance, fear of the unknown, or belief in fate, omens, magic, or chance as governing principles".

Now my question concerning a world as magical as Glorantha, isn't it possible to give these superstitions power if they are believed by a whole community? Thus taking your example of a broken mirror, would it be possible that it affect (curse) a whole village? In this case would the village have to suffer 7 years long or could the curse be lifted through another irrational act or through heroquest?