Re: Superstition

From: Pete Darby <pete.darby_at_baMSUUyajuqY8mJ8Lc2waJ57AW5QxPX76XwPch2oWgUMEZrYBaFc0dmOEQg3fyXDs>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 10:22:26 +0000

On 2/22/07, argant1800 <argant1800_at_z7vKtb8GetsT_4HYX-pEvSXnty-XqrRkKLpbcTDb51GlEQt8xVCu3GGA7374T4iuJc4s7SgHet4F9A.yahoo.invalid> wrote:

> Now my question concerning a world as magical as Glorantha, isn't it
> possible to give these superstitions power if they are believed by a
> whole community? Thus taking your example of a broken mirror, would
> it be possible that it affect (curse) a whole village? In this case
> would the village have to suffer 7 years long or could the curse be
> lifted through another irrational act or through heroquest?

IMHO, not unless it was somehow related to an otherworld entity, a myth in the otherworld, or otherwise got it's power from an existent magical relationship.

Belief is not enough.

Of course, it may be that a passing entity could be attracted, offended or somehow otherwise offended by a random act, like breaking a mirror. Maybe your new Tula is where Voria broke her Mirror and had to ask the Sun to Fix It... whayddya mean, your tribe never knew that myth? Sucks to be you.