Re: Superstition

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_4Nw3PuE40S9cqhGT5pP1hQ9zVVh7i6ECzLT1pAD6tgx95CAx8zCCu-EeIN2sqQp7mUcoG>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 11:12:13 -0800

> Now my question concerning a world as magical as Glorantha, isn't it
> possible to give these superstitions power if they are believed by a
> whole community? Thus taking your example of a broken mirror, would
> it be possible that it affect (curse) a whole village? In this case
> would the village have to suffer 7 years long or could the curse be
> lifted through another irrational act or through heroquest?

The question is "Does belief define reality, or reality define belief"? In Glorantha the answer is "Yes" - a successful heroquest can make reality conform to belief (for the questers and their supporters), but most beliefs are probably there because of reality.

So if a broken mirror causes seven years of bad luck, there is probably some *thing* that is offended by breaking a mirror that curses you.

Glorantha is chock full of superstitions (using any definition you want). Everyone has those little rituals they do, whether they actually work or not. (Clapping keeps away elephants. No, really it does. See any Elephants around here?). It's just that we haven't written them down, so they don't show up in the rules or background information (we don't write about people needing to go to the bathroom either, yet I doubt anyone thinks that Gloranthans don't have to...). So feel free to make up your own! Common magic is a easy way to include "superstition" - "If I say these words and blink three times, this happens".

RR