Re: Superstition

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_WPs0SBsdELoFoAU8GLnSSkQpOPYyBtMtxaFFfqPtTIH3St0rVi68xgmtHp6-7zbLRZMVA>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 12:21:44 -0800

>> The question is "Does belief define reality, or
>> reality define belief"?
>> In Glorantha the answer is "Yes"
>
> Surely if you're using HQ, it's "yes, but"? :)

yes, but we aren't *just* discussing HQ here, but all gloranthan games...

>> So if a broken mirror causes seven years of bad
>> luck, there is probably some
>> *thing* that is offended by breaking a mirror that
>> curses you.
>
> And it may not be the "thing" you think it is. And the
> rituals you go through that you think appease it may
> in fact be strengthening its enemy, the one you didn't
> know about. Just a little bit more of that, and war is
> going to break out, and you'll be right in the middle
> :)

It's all the fault of (Choose one: [the Godlearners] [the Lunars] [the Krjalki] [the Rebels] [Nysalor] [Arkat]) I tells ya. Since he/they came around, ain't nuthin' been right!

>> (Clapping keeps away elephants. No, really it
>> does. See any Elephants around here?).
>
> No, because you can't see them. They're all hiding
> upside down in bowls of custard with their feet
> painted yellow. (Who else is old enough to remember
> that joke?)

Must be a British joke, I never heard it.

> If you want a superstition that really isn't based on
> anything, it's worth remembering that this sort of
> negative logic is the easiest way to do it. No-one's
> going to stop clapping: it's easy, and you never know.
>
> Then again... what supernatural entity has moved into
> the area recently because it *likes* clapping? Who
> believes in fairies?

Maybe the faeries are what keep the elephants away?

BTW, answering your question from last week: "Dundracon" is the convention I run in the San Francisco Bay Area (and we had a great time). "President's Day" is roughly equivalent to "Queen's Birthday".

RR