Re: Superstition

From: Jane Williams <janewilliams20_at_jqTUfBe4QGMrOyXZ88hdn4X_L2Yfsi1beKFdEFn5_5OvTJTc9-YBlRM4dRyUH>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 20:36:58 +0000 (GMT)

> >> The question is "Does belief define reality, or
> >> reality define belief"?
> >> In Glorantha the answer is "Yes"
> >
> > Surely if you're using HQ, it's "yes, but"? :)
>
> yes, but we aren't *just* discussing HQ here, but
> all gloranthan games...

That's why I said "if". If you're not, then you're probably still trying to work out how many fatigue points the elephants have, and the "but" is of less use.

> >> (Clapping keeps away elephants. No, really it
> >> does. See any Elephants around here?).
> >
> > No, because you can't see them. They're all hiding
> > upside down in bowls of custard with their feet
> > painted yellow. (Who else is old enough to
> remember that joke?)
>
> Must be a British joke, I never heard it.

It's one of a series of "why do elephants paint <bit of anatomy> <colour>?", all based on improbable disguises, and "ever seen one? Shows how good the disguise is." That was the first that came to mind where the anatomy was printable. All very amusing when you're under 10.

> > Then again... what supernatural entity has moved
> into
> > the area recently because it *likes* clapping? Who
> > believes in fairies?
>
> Maybe the faeries are what keep the elephants away?

I thought that was mice? Elephants are scared of them in case they run up their trunks, you know.

> BTW, answering your question from last week:
> "Dundracon" is the convention I
> run in the San Francisco Bay Area

That bit I knew, thanks.

>(and we had a great time).

Good!

> "President's Day" is roughly equivalent
> to "Queen's Birthday".

(blinks) You celebrate the birthday of an elected official who changes every few years anyway?

What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of your email personality. Take the quiz at the Yahoo! Mail Championship. http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://mail.yahoo.net/uk