Queen's Birthday/President's Day

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_x6ubWON48z4CYdxZLA6S-FYEBHcrzIvbQT-KsvkGbNSr_P-5wvZ83wifJv_Ybfk75r5C->
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 12:53:30 -0800

>> "President's Day" is roughly equivalent
>> to "Queen's Birthday".
>
> (blinks) You celebrate the birthday of an elected
> official who changes every few years anyway?

It was originally two holidays: "Washington's Birthday" and "Lincoln's Birthday". They were within a week or so of each other, so someone in Government decided to combine the two into "President's Day" - a day to celebrate all the presidents we've had (not their birthdays per se, just their existance). Note the words "roughly equivalent" up there...

As far as celebrating the "wrong" birthday, your "Queen's Birthday" date was chosen in hopes of getting good weather, according to wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Queen's_Official_Birthday

Now, how do we get this back to Glorantha?

When do various cultures celebrate Founder's/Emperor's/Ancestors/etc days? And what do they do to celebrate?

RR