Re: silver coins

From: donald_at_4YevjR9QbpDBWKgtzDZa8CakxDASKWHOSXEtsXkrQuQQzoCOcb-UtwCYk3JVQaW28UVKt
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 22:45:49 GMT

In message <917265.63544.qm_at_e1JfuDaNAyNLYkWFHphMJ-2mPQsftnAP5F9Ou5xwZoaIR9XfmJxt5nnF-IvQNqosChsqo4lTky98DJkKCKlRmosbDE8AZeHrbmx28EtaYTR8.yahoo.invalid> Chris Lemens writes:
>valkoharja:
>
>> It's still much nicer to pick a period and value for money, than to
>> spend a huge amount of time trying to run economic cycles for a
>> fantasy world.
>
>Most of the time (unless you are playing a merchant campaign), but I
>guess I tend to think about Glorantha-shaking campaigns. It would be
>funny to my mind if the whole world was shaken up, but exchange rates
>were constant. To much ancient and mdeieval history in college, I
>suppose.

Even when I was playing RQII I didn't really like the currency because it was just too artifical. Everyone using the same sized silver coins which had the same exchange rates to copper and gold. I don't see a need to create a full economic model for each part of Glorantha but it's easy enough to bring in major events. During the Wind Stop every heortling is likely to lose some of their cattle (wealth). But those who don't lose many are going to be relatively wealthier because they can get a better price for their animals. The Lunars who want to buy food with silver are going to be a lot worse off - that 20 lunars per cow is going to rise to 100 or even 200 lunars depending how badly the local herds have been affected.

>That said, it would be pretty funny (or maybe just sadistic) to have
>the characters exchange all their solver for gold so as to make
>travelling easier, only to arrive some place where gold and silver
>are of similar scarcity (and thus were valued the same). Like the
>far east, perhaps.

I reckon unless your characters have a merchant with them who's likely to know this sort of thing it should happen pretty much as routine. If you run away from Sartar to Pavis you are going to find some things much more expensive and others cheaper. That goes for currency as well.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/