Whitewall in 1619

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_Q7Knkx4mExepA0bRLH3FACV28fFhGnr7sTvBXNe8HbzwNnmuOLBrwalGi6S0b1sbfsva>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 01:32:41 -0000

For those of you that occasionally follow our Seattle Farmers campaign, our intrepid Orlanthi are now defending Whitewall. Here is an account of the opening of that campaign:

       In Stasis week of Fire Season 1619, a panicked rider arrived from Whitewall carrying a black arrow. A column had been spotted marching across the Crossline at Hallfort. It was said to be more than a mile long - and with more men that followed Rikard the Adventurer. Worse yet, scouts reported that another even greater column had passed the Centaur Cross and was marching south into the Dreven Vale. King Broyan was calling upon every chieftain and warrior who was willing to die for the freedom of the Hendrikings to join him at Whitewall immediately. The Lunar Empire was bringing its armies to enslave the Hendrikings.

      The Lightning Rams headed straight to Whitewall. We arrived on Founder's Day, which was auspicious.

      The councilors of King Broyan debated what to do. Kallyr Starbrow argued that we should fight a Tarshite column along Tarkalor's road, ambushing them near Two Top. Other councilors disagreed. However, King Broyan agreed that the Lunars could not be allowed to march unopposed. He would lead the army and hit the Lunars at Two Top.

      The Lightning Rams joined the Sword; Korlmhy [chieftain-priest of the Lightning Rams] asked Dararkast Ironsword [King Broyan's warthane] that we not be placed next to the Uroxi of Davdu.

      When we arrived at Two Top, it was under attack. Nisk the Flyer scouted from the air, and discovered that there were perhaps 4000 or 5000 solders, including cavalry.

      There was a group of light infantry in reserve, which we charged. As we got closer, we realized they were Bush Rangers from Tarsh. We changed into them, screaming our war cries. For a moment we lost contact with Dararkast's group, but then we cut back to him, leaving a swathe of destruction. We pulled back before their cavalry joined the battle. Some of their forces pursued us into the hills. The fyrdmen lagged behind, and fled into the hills. Half didn't make it back to Whitewall on Waterday.

      Scouts reported that one of the ancient Dara Happan Stonewall Phalanxes was among the forces which remained at Two Top.

      Another war council debated who should stay at Whitewall. King Broyan dismissed most of the remaining Volsaxing fyrdmen, and sent 25 of his companions into the hills to protect his people. Brenna Horsewoman thought Whitewall was a useless place for her horse troops, but stayed with Korlmhy.

     King Broyan sent the residents of Whitewall to safety. He asked 500 picked warriors to hold the gap between the hills so that the non-combatants could safely flee. We agreed to help and the Lightning Rams were among those to face the Lunar vanguard.

      We positioned ourselves to fight their footmen, which turned out to be Humakti from Aggar, with wailing bagpipes. Korlmhy prepared his storm, which went roaring up the Northvale, blotting out the sun. Korlmhy rose into the sky to direct the lightning at the foe. The Aggari fled in terror, but Brenna kept our band from chasing them, directing them at the flank of the Sable Riders advance. Herger Warbringer attacked their mounts. Brenna forced back their counterattack. Then we charged, accompanied by a volley of lightning. We followed up with a killer rain gale. They fled, but quickly regrouped.

      We had held the field long enough, and retreated to Whitewall.

      On Windsday, the full Lunar column arrived in view of the defenders of Whitewall, having taken Two Top and installed King Bosodos the Traitor as lord of the place. Flyers reported that the other column had moved on towards Smithstone. These are the nations of the Lunar Army that camped below Whitewall:

      500 Dara Happan cavalry from Yuthuppa, called the Star Captains.  They were each a nobleman from an ancient family;

      1000 Dara Happan elite spearmen of the Granite Phalanx. They were an ancient warband that had fought against the Orlanthi at Night and Day;

      500 sable riders from the Hungry Plateau. They had fine armor and wore silk breeches;

      800 Thunder Delta Slingers from the frozen north near Valind's Glacier. They were feared as the finest slingers in all the world;

      500 Humakti from Aggar, called the Drenthi Grims; and
      1000 Sartarite mercenaries from the Slave Tribes.

The General of this great host had a sun banner, which Brenna figured was the symbol of an important Imperial noble. There were also 1200 servants and other noncombatants.

      Whitewall had 975 defenders (and 600 supporters), which was enough to hold the fortress. King Broyan asked his followers to figure how to get small bands in and out of the fortress - and how to stop the foe from doing the same.

      In Truth Week, the Lunar General sent the Granite Phalanx to assault and take Whitewall, but Brenna leaped up on Sassy to better direct the defenders, and the Lightning Rams stopped their Unstoppable Advance at the gates of Whitewall.

      The Sylangi tribe had backed the Lunars, and were given Two Top and most of the Kultain lands in exchange. King Hroar of Dars Rest also declared for the Lunars.

      We heard news that the Lunar Army took Smithstone, and later captured the port of Karse.

      A herald came to parley on behalf of Jorkandos the Blinder, a nobleman of Yuthuppa and General of this Lunar Army. He demanded the surrender of Whitewall. King Broyan refused his arrogant demands and told the Lunars to come at him.

      In late Earth Season, the rest of Volsaxiland being conquered, another 3000 Lunars from many other nations arrived outside Whitewall. We thought we saw the Greydogs among them. Their number also included 200 drum-pounding demons: Jagrekriand-worshipping Shadzorings. The Lunars began constructing large siege weapons.

      King Broyan directed his chieftains and followers to launch night-time raids on the siege engines. This caused some disarray among the Lunars until the Shadzorings forced the raiders to flee back to Whitewall.

      News from outside was grim. People said Warlord Fazzur (whom some called "the Great") was preparing to conquer the remainder of Heortland and perhaps the rest of the Holy County.