Re: Draconised (sic) myths

From: Doyle Tavener <doyletavener_at_xGH3M-SZGkwmKOgPxssdiaZxg0UFNgjnIVtd3NZ3Q7fut_y4_rBX_yYKmYg-AYv>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 08:49:46 -0600

Greg Sez:

>Orlanth and Aroka
>This is a story of Orlanth's change in consciousness to the draconic
>way. His conquest of Aroka is a map of his internal struggle.
>Eventually he finds the right thought, and he obtains draconic power
>and is thus able to use the draconic rain-making powers.

>Orlanth and Yelm
>Yelm is the "normal thinking" part of a person's consciousness, and
>the quester must learn to master that before he obtains true dragon
>powers.
>The myth is a map to do this: the contests are steps to overcome
>ingrained patterns of thought:
>The Contest of Dance indicates the starting method. It is to gain the
>Power of Balance. Once done, a person can start to obtain the internal
>power needed to undergo The Contest of Magic. When successful one
>gains mental Power. When this is successfully obtained one works to
>succeed at the Contest of Harmony. Finally, the conscious mind is
>mastered and one may "kill yelm" and gain full control.

OK, I get the drift. Do you think it is possible or desirable to map these changes in consciousness to ratings for game play, either in Heroquest or RQ?

By that I mean (in RQ) using the old Personality Trait chart to have certain minimum ratings to represent each 'station' of the myth, or by acquiring a rating corresponding to the station in Heroquest.

Presently in RQ, this simulated by an 'Esoteric Wisdom' skill, which is supposed to represent the time and energy you dump into mystic consciousness, but this seems a little dry to me.

Doyle