Re: currency and trade

From: donald_at_p-4LJszjv41r1mp9LQJT_jcKtck2o7RRHvD49kcOJHbHBC6g5I--5SJPLcds8lB_7bMg7
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 21:33:28 GMT

In message <20070224182254.OOVR2732.mxfep04.bredband.com_at_mxfep04> Dan Guillou writes:

>In our world, states have ended up throwing great big technological
>efforts on the problem. We now have coins, bills, bank notes (and
>soon electronical currencies) that are so hard to duplicate or modify,
>that it is mostly cheaper to go out and actually buy the money.

Really? At least once a year police in the UK find a printing press being used to forge notes on a large scale. Coins are less of a problem because they aren't worth enough but it happens. And how often do you check your currency for forgeries? Can you even do so with any reliability?

>In Glorantha, of course, magic replaces technology. That is one the
>things I find so cool about the place.

Yes, merchants are going to have magic to detect fake currency like Issaries "Evaluate Currency" feat. Won't stop forgeries and debasing currency entirely but is likely to keep it in check.

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/