Re: ILH2 sorcery questions

From: Roderick Robertson <rjremr_at_oaZPrNcOHznjM_rBCv3UxzvsRytYJ0LuBaHn9tsDzoGyYStpwqnkepCgO_pBpCIu7beU4>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 10:09:44 -0800

>I tried asking this on the HQrules group, but only got one responce, so
> I thought I'd try annoying the other groups with it:)

Remember that WoG is a "generalised Glorantha" list, so try to keep system-specific rules in their own lists...

> Page 28 of ILH2 states that in order to become an Ordinate an applicant
> must give up all magic not from his deity. However, the entry for
> Makabeus on page 82 under "Grimoires" states that "Ordinates have
> access to many independent spells in addition to those found in the
> school's grimoires." Which is correct? If the second is correct, does
> it extend to non-lunar spells, and if so, are they affected by the
> Lunar cycle?

Well, as we said on the HQRules list, there are spells in Grimoires, and "independent" spells that are not contained in grimoires. Both types are available to Makabeus worshippers (and really, to any sorcery-using person - any sorcery school will have loose spells not contained in any grimoire). (Note, Since "Cults of Glorantha 2", Runequest now has Grimoires where it didn;'t before).

As far as "Other Immortal's Spells", I'll go off on a bit of a tangent...

To cast a spell you need to know to which Energy Node on the Spell plane to connect. That energy node is what actually "powers" the spell. You also need a focus that is connected to that node.

[An Analogy: Casting a spell is like pumping gas into your car. The Focus is the gas hose and nozzle. The nergy node is the underground Gas Storage Tank. The nozzle is useless without the storage tank, the storage tank is useless without a nozzle. ]

A grimoire is also connected to a node, but to a higher order one, that has links to the spell nodes of the spells listed in the grimoire.

[Another Analogy: A Spell is like a recipe for cake. A grimoire is a Cookbook with a bunch of recipes for cake]

When you find a scroll with a spell on it or a Grimoire, it contains the "location" of the Spell node, and instructions on connecting your focus to it. Once you have this piece of parchment/papyrus/stone tablet/whatever , you need to decipher the instructions, which are *probably* ecentric to great degree. That's what the "Use [Grimoire]" (HQ)/Read (Order) Grimoire"(MRQ) ability is - the ability to make sense of someone else's scribbled notes.

[Yet another analogy: A spell is like a page on the Internet. A grimoire is like your "Favorites" list. And there is no standard way of writing a URL or HTML code, you have to figure it out for yourself, kind of like early Unix].

The spell descriptions are written down on a physical piece of parchment/papyrus/Golden tablet/whatever, and that physical writing can be given away, stolen, etc. Once the new recipient manages to crack the code (Spends a hero point to buy "Use Grimoire" of the correct type in HQ, joins the appropriate group in MRQ), he can connect to that spell node. Spells, unlike feats, are usable by anyone that can get to the node - once you have the instructions, you are golden. [Furthering the Internet analogy - there are no extra Security measures once you get to the Spell node. You don't need to enter a username and password - they are included in the spell instructions]

Now, to bring this back to Makabeus...

Other sorcery-using denominations in the Empire share some spells with Makabeus - Makabeus does have an Imperial mandate to collect spells, after all. They don't have access to other denominations's Grimoires or more secret spells, however (the other denominations aren't stupid, after all).

Spells brought in from outside the Empire are also often given to Makabeus. (*Often*, not *Always*. Politics, Preferences, or Personal Emnity can trump Imperial Mandate...)

While a spell node itself is not tied to the Red moon's cycles, the methodology of Makabeus *is*, so any of his worshippers will have cyclical magic, no matter if the spell came from inside or outside the empire.

Spells, unlike feats, do not "belong" to any immortal, and once a Denomination gains access to a Sorcery spell, it counts as part of the "Magic of the Immortal" for the purpose of "give up all magic".

Hope that answers the question.

RR