Re: ILH2 sorcery questions

From: donald_at_QXngMyS2lSt5s0jgpwwf7gOIbJudcIPmdRj8IRXVskesv7wST5EBxDSVcQPJOUjbkr5RJ
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 15:36:34 GMT

In message <eruomf+v0ln_at_eGroups.com> "markmohrfield" writes:

>I tried asking this on the HQrules group, but only got one responce, so
>I thought I'd try annoying the other groups with it:)
>
>Page 28 of ILH2 states that in order to become an Ordinate an applicant
>must give up all magic not from his deity. However, the entry for
>Makabeus on page 82 under "Grimoires" states that "Ordinates have
>access to many independent spells in addition to those found in the
>school's grimoires." Which is correct? If the second is correct, does
>it extend to non-lunar spells, and if so, are they affected by the
>Lunar cycle?

Firstly there are plenty of people who remain Novitiates. If the Lunars are anything like the Heortlings in this respect Ordinates are going to be rare and aren't necessarily better than Novitiates.

My view is also that Makabaus is an exception in that he is *the Lunar sorcerer* so any sorcerous magic is his. However since his power comes from the moon rather than the essence plane his followers have to alter the spells slightly to get them to work and in consequence they are affected by the Lunar cycle.

I don't know if this was the intention of the writers but it's consistant with the principle of the specific (Makabaus) overruling the general (Ordinates).

--
Donald Oddy
http://www.grove.demon.co.uk/