Re: Draconised (sic) myths

From: Greg Stafford <Greg_at_1Jt-e01Oog90lJnWe0DypKRuXswGk7C2BJivY5qzzxtlze7m8Qc6ssgXLCIS3iA-68zGJzH>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:55:49 -0800

YGWV Quoting David Dunham <david_at_PV0TYu0UT9iPrnYYETqnPvaZXlni4clfCWWvgDiyoQlwoUnMoLUlxvex-wPwAyBLU0yCemdkROFKOINu.yahoo.invalid>:

>> > I'm still in the dark a bit about the "do the story, get the magic"
>> > part though.
>>
>> I think you mean, "How does a worshipper get magic when he doing the
>> draconic version of the myths?"
>>
>> The actual answer is, "One does not do draconic worship for magic. The
>> development of your true soul is not to obtain power. The purpose is
>> to obtain inner tranquility and peace."
>
> I guess the real issue is an assumption as to how Imperial Age
> Heortling communities work. In the Third Age, it seems like they'll
> often sponsor heroquests to gain benefits for the community. I was
> wondering how that could work with draconic understanding.

I think that they used different methods. And to start, rememvber that they would have started rom their established methodologies. Thus some of their processes would be similiar to those that had come before.

> But likely this is not what EWF communities did. They'd sponsor a
> heroquest so that their leader could gain benefits. So unless a
> player character is such a leader, this isn't a question relevant to
> gaming.

I'm not sure that this is corect.
Sure, it was probably corec for some communites, some of the time. But others would use their established methodologies of worship and do the quests to benefit the communities.
Maybe they would defeat Orlanth AS Aroka, and then give the water to the communites that helped to defeat Orlanth.

> (Running a Third Age Heortling game, players will get involved in
> heroquests fairly often, but they're using the theistic
> interpretation of the myth. This usage is explained in HeroQuest: "Do
> the story, get the magic.")

And they could still do that as draconic communities. In mystical communities is known that not everyone is in the same place on the path, and that people need to coduct themselves in a draconic community manner, but they can still participate in the HQs in the "old way."

Though I am also sure that there were different methods used too.

Sincerely,
Greg Stafford

Issaries, Inc.
c/o Greg Stafford